Key Elementary, Year One
Singer – Beth Reeves
Learning Objective/Exit Outcomes:
- Students will be able to describe James Oglethorpe’s life, accomplishments and obstacles that he had to endure.
- Students will analyze his influence on politics and government.
SS2H1 Describe the lives and contributions of historical figures in Georgia history.
- James Oglethorpe, Tomochichi, and Mary Musgrove (founding of Georgia)
TA2.CR.1 Organize, design, and refine theatrical work.
- Use imagination to create characters.
Social Studies and Theatre Arts
- Open space in the room
- Various objects
- The teacher or facilitator will blindfold a volunteer to go through the “Minefield”. Students will place items to represent mines (anything inside the classroom).
- With the help of communication per student, the volunteer will attempt to get through the field.
- The facilitator should coach students to give clear and specific instructions.
- The teacher should integrate the content of the lesson at this time and students can become a substitute for the mines. “Let’s pretend that this is a field of challenges that Oglethorpe has to endure during his journey in politics”.
- Students can be substituted into the games as “Georgia,” “Prison System,” “Parliament,” etc. The students can recite lines that each “mine” can represent.
3-5 minutes- What were we doing? What did you see us doing? What do you wonder?